RORY MCILROY: The fabulous life of Nike's $200 million man

Scott Halleran/Getty Images Rory McIlroy turned 28 on Thursday and has already built up quite a career. He has won three of the four major championships and four majors overall. He also has a deal with Nike rumored to be worth as much as $200 million, as he has been tasked with replacing Tiger Woods as the face of Nike ...

Read More »

Apple Pay's growth drivers remain unclear (AAPL)

BI Intelligence This story was delivered to BI Intelligence “Payments Briefing” subscribers. To learn more and subscribe, please click here. In its Q1 2017 earnings call, Apple asserted that Apple Pay is gaining “phenomenal traction,” noting that the service saw a 450% annual increase in transaction volume. But, as is standard for Apple, these statistics are reported without key context, ...

Read More »

The richest 1% of New York City residents are living in multimillion-dollar Frankenmansions

One mega-mansion in New York City, outlined in red.Google Street View/Screenshot When an apartment or penthouse isn’t big enough for wealthy New Yorkers, they get creative. In recent years, several have combined multiple townhouses or building floors to create supersized homes — or Frankenmansions, as New York magazine’s S. Jhoanna Robledo calls them. To construct these Frankenmansions, some prospective buyers ...

Read More »

You can now buy a house with Apple smart home stuff already built-in (AAPL, BRP)

Brookfield Residential COO Adrian Foley demonstrates the smart home capabilities. Brookfield Residential/Alexandra Petruck Part of the appeal of a smart home, at least for early adopters, is customizing it exactly to your liking by picking specific switches, hubs, light bulbs, and other gadgets. But some people want a smart home experience that works “out of the box.” Brookfield Residential, a ...

Read More »

Cell-phone owners just tipped the scale toward the death of landlines

Gizmodo By the slimmest of margins, cell-phone users may have cemented the death of landline phones, new data from Centers for Disease Control show. In US homes, 50.8% of people are now wireless-only, meaning they rely on a smartphone or mobile phone as their primary form of communication. The remaining 49.2% still use traditional landlines that plug into a wall. That ...

Read More »

5 period myths that need to go away

Cramps don’t have to be part of your period.champja/iStock The INSIDER Summary: Menstrual blood is not unsanitary — it’s life-giving. Period pain isn’t a necessary part of menstruation, and can be avoided. Hormonal birth control can mask problems instead of solving them. Alisa Vitti is a functional nutritionist, women’s hormone expert, and author of “WomanCode: Perfect Your Cycle, Amplify Your Fertility, Supercharge ...

Read More »

Here's what Snapchat's big push for TV-like 'shows' will look like

Nathan McAlone/Business Insider A big piece of Snap’s pitch to IPO investors in March was that Snapchat would be the place where TV advertising dollars would land, as they shifted to the digital realm. Snap hasn’t been the first to make this pitch — see Facebook, YouTube, and so on — nor will it be the last. But the truth of ...

Read More »

Why England's new kit launch could have used a dash more Joe Root and a lot less David Brent

A ritual annihilation on Twitter was not quite what New Balance had in mind to institute its new kit deal with the England cricket team. That’s what they got, though, for the advertising campaign which includes a poem in free verse penned to the nation’s next potential Test player, signed by the team. The letter – which is David Brent ...

Read More »

Dolphins' immune systems are failing due to polluted oceans

Wild dolphins have weaker immune systems than captive dolphins because of polluted sea water, a study has found. Researcher`s compared the immune health of four groups of bottlenose dolphins living in aquariums and off the coast of America. Pollutants in the oceans around Florida and South Carolina were found to be putting a strain on the wild dolphins’ immune systems, ...

Read More »

Here's wishing Philip a retirement fit for a prince

As His Royal Highness Prince Philip will, in future, only be doing voluntary work, (Buckingham Palace announces Duke of Edinburgh standing down from public life, 4 May), will the tax payers funding of the royal household be adjusted accordingly? Tony Harris Stockton-on-Tees Dame de Fer Sunday could mark France’s Dangerous Liaison with Marine Le Pen, its first Empress since Josephine. ...

Read More »