Security barriers installed at London bridges after terror attack killed seven and injured 48

Barriers are being installed on London’s bridges in response to recent terror attacks.

Three jihadists in a van ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge on Saturday night before leaping out and stabbing people.

In March, Khalid Masood , 52, drove at pedestrians on Westminster Bridge killing four of them and injuring 50.

There had been calls after that attack for extra security measures on London’s bridges.

But council officials had declined to install barriers.

Just 24 hours before Saturday’s bloodbath, the City of London Corporation said there were “no current plans” to install bollards on the historic structure on Friday.

But last night Transport for London confirmed security barriers were being installed.

On twitter, TfL said they were expected to be in place by 4.30am on Monday.

(Photo: Rex Features)

On Sunday, Prime Minister Theresa May visited some of the 48 people taken to hospitals across the capital after the attack.

A rest centre was also set up at London South Bank University where volunteers from the British Red Cross helped those affected, Southwark Council said.

Among the injured are:

  • A British Transport Police (BTP) officer and an off-duty Metropolitan Police officer are in hospital with serious injuries but neither are believed to be in a life-threatening condition, Scotland Yard said. The BTP officer, who was on duty, was one of the first at the scene after he responded to calls for help from the public, the force said. He suffered serious injuries when he was stabbed in the face, head and leg, wounds which BTP said are not thought to be life-threatening.

Video Loading

  • New Zealander Oliver Dowling is reported to have been left in a coma after being stabbed in the face, neck and stomach. Mr Dowling, 32, from Christchurch, is said to have had four hours of surgery for his injuries and is in an induced coma. His girlfriend, Marie Bondeville, was also injured.

  • Sunday Express business editor Geoff Ho was left in intensive care after being stabbed in the throat when he tried to help a wounded bouncer.

  • Two Australians were stabbed in the neck while a third was also injured in the attack, according to the country’s foreign minister. Candice Hedge is recovering in St Thomas’ Hospital, while Andrew Morrison received stitches for a wound and was on his way home to Australia. The government is still making inquiries into the third Australian’s condition.

Jane Cummings, chief nursing officer for England and Sir Bruce Keogh, national medical director for NHS England, issued a joint statement, saying that – as with the Westminster Bridge and Manchester attacks – “on each occasion we have seen both the worst and the best of humanity”.

It said: “Last night, once again, the NHS and other emergency services reacted swiftly and heroically, going towards the danger to help the injured.

“Tried and tested emergency plans were activated, with London Ambulance Service on the scene within six minutes. NHS staff across the capital have also volunteered to work extra shifts and through the night to help the emergency response.”

(Photo: AFP)

“As the medical director and chief nurse of the NHS in England we would like to put on record our gratitude and thanks to everyone for their tireless efforts and commitment in what has been a very difficult period.”

NHS England chief executive Simon Stevens said: “The NHS has again shown that we are ready and able to respond to such attacks, thanks to the professionalism and bravery of our staff.

“While so far there has been minimal wider impact on services overall, we continue to keep the situation under close review as events unfold, and ask people in the capital to continue to use NHS services wisely.”

Comments

comments

Click here to Read from the source

x

Check Also

The perfect bacon butty revealed as Brits vote on their favourite way to make classic sarnie

The age-old argument of how to make the perfect bacon butty can now be settled. ...

Shares